New River Community College’s fourth annual Comic Con will be held on Saturday, Oct. 28, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at NRCC in Dublin.
The event, sponsored by the NRCC library, will feature artists, authors and dealers from around the New River Valley and beyond.
The schedule for panel discussions is as follows:
- 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. – “Marvel Origins: Jack Kirby and the Technology of Imagination” hosted by Dr. Matthew Smith;
- 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. – “Writing Workshop” with author, Kim Headlee;
- 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – “African-American Superheroes: The First Black Heroes of Comic Books and Comic Media” with special guest, Michael Eury;
- 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. – “Giant Creatures in Our World: Essays on Kaiju and American Popular Culture” with co-editor, Camille D.G. Mustachio;
- 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. – “501st Legion/Star Wars Panel;”
- 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. – “Interview with Special Guest, Richard Case” conducted by Dr. Matthew Smith; and
- 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. – A look at the documentary, “Cultured Bigfoot” created by Bill Lancaster. Glen Richardson, creator of Sgt. Sasquatch, will join him for this panel.
Some area dealers attending the event include Dollar Comics, Nate Lundy, B&D Comic Shop, Millennial Boutique, Frank’s Cool Stuff and Super Game Station.
Other special guests include the Radford High School Robotics Team with interactive robots; and appearances by Bo Keister, veteran actor and producer; Guy A. Sims, writer for the Brotherman: Dictator of Discipline comic book series; and Richard Case, artist for Marvel Comics’ Spider-Man and Doctor Strange.
Cosplayers and children wearing their Halloween costumes are welcome at the all-ages event. There will be a costume parade, allowing anyone who wants to show off their costume the chance to walk across the stage.
Admission is $2 for anyone 13 and older.
Food will be available from Creole That food truck.
The NRCC Comic Con website, www.nr.edu/comic-con/, is being updated often with news of additional artists, authors and dealers attending.