Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHERE CALIFORNIA’S FLAMES ARE DOING DAMAGE
The San Diego area becomes the latest front of the wildfire fight engulfing southern California, burning homes and causing evacuations.
2. TRUMP’S JERUSALEM DECISION SETS OFF PROTESTS
Palestinian groups call for massive demonstrations in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and east Jerusalem after Friday prayers, the highlight of the Muslim religious week.
3. BREAKTHROUGH IN BRITAIN’S DIVORCE FROM EU
Britain and the European Union say they are moving to new phase of Brexit talks after overnight agreement over status of the Irish border.
4. WHO CAN GAIN FROM FRANKEN’S RESIGNATION
The former comedian’s fall due to sexual harassment allegations could give Republicans an opening to expand their Senate majority.
5. PARALLELS ABOUND IN ALABAMA AND PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION DRIVES
Like President Trump, Roy Moore is breaking all the rules of modern-day politics in turbulent Senate campaign.
6. VIDEO HELPS CONVICT POLICEMAN
Images taken by a bystander were crucial in earning 20-year prison sentence for a white officer who shot an unarmed black man in South Carolina.
7. JAIL TIME FOR HORRIFIC SEXUAL ASSAULT THAT EXPOSED RACIAL DIVIDE
Two Australians have been sent to prison for the brutal slaying of an Aboriginal woman in a case that outraged the public.
8. NEW CITY TO RISE OUT OF SANDS
Jordan announces plans to build a new metropolis in the desert by 2050 and bring some relief to its overcrowded capital of Amman.
9. WEDDING PLANS DOWN UNDER
Gay marriage in Australia will become legal on Jan. 9 after the governor-general signs bill into law.
10. FORMER ROYAL IN-LAW LATEST KEVIN SPACEY ACCUSER
The ex-husband of Norwegian King Harald’s daughter alleges that the actor groped him during the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize concert in Oslo.
By The Associated Press