New River Health District offers free seasonal flu vaccine for adults, children at five health department locations
The New River Health District will offer free seasonal flu vaccine for adults and children in a series of clinics at each of the district’s local health departments.
Dates, times and locations are:
- Montgomery Co. Health Department, 210 S. Pepper St., Suite A, Christiansburg – Monday, February 12, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Floyd Co. Health Department, 123 Parkview Road, NE, Floyd – Monday, February 12, 1 to 4 p.m.
- Pulaski Co. Health Department, 170 Fourth St., NW, Pulaski – Tuesday, February 13, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Radford City Health Department, 220 E. Main St., Radford – Tuesday, February 13, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Giles Co. Health Department, 120 N. Main St., Pearisburg – Wednesday, February 14, 9 a.m. to noon
This flu vaccine will be offered free to anyone 3 years and older on a first-come, first-served basis. Be sure to wear clothing that is loose around the arm so that a public health nurse can administer the flu shot in the upper arm.
Influenza, commonly called “the flu,” is a serious disease caused by the influenza virus that affects the respiratory tract. It is highly contagious and generally spreads from person-to-person when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
The timing and duration of flu seasons vary; they can occur from early fall to late spring. Receiving an annual seasonal flu vaccine is the best way to reduce your risk of becoming sick with the flu and spreading the virus to others. All persons age 6 months or older should be vaccinated against influenza each year.
To minimize your risk of contracting or transmitting the flu, follow these simple steps:
- Get vaccinated;
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly, for at least 20 seconds;
- Cover your cough, either by using a disposable tissue or coughing into your sleeve, not your hand; and
- Stay at home when you are sick.
For more information, call the New River Health District at 540-585-3300 or visit www.vdh.virginia.gov.