Rent and Mortgage Relief Funding Available

NRCA has received Rent and Mortgage Relief Program funds from the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development targeted to individuals and families facing eviction or foreclosure due to the pandemic. The Virginia Rent and Mortgage Relief Program (RMRP) is designed to support and ensure housing stability across the Commonwealth during the coronavirus pandemic. New River Community Action has been designated as the local program administrator for the New River Valley.

Depending on the availability of funds and household need, the RMRP may provide financial assistance for rent or mortgage payments for eligible households. Financial assistance is a one-time payment for Rent/Mortgage arrears beginning April 1, 2020. Opportunity for renewal is based on the availability of funding, household need, and continued eligibility.

Eligible Households Must:
  • Meet income guidelines. The applicant must have a gross household income at or below 80% area median income (AMI), based on the current month’s income. The determination of income includes any unemployment payment received by a member of the household but does not include one-time payments such as a stimulus check.
  • Be financially impacted due to the COVID-19 pandemic
  • Have a valued lease or mortgage statement in their name, or other documentation of tenant/landlord relationship
  • Rent or mortgage amount at or below 150% fair market rent (FMR)
  • Be at risk for eviction or foreclosure.
The following documentation is required:
  • Proof of income (pay stubs, bank statements, letter from employer, social security documents, unemployment documentation, pension)
  • Proof that household has been denied a forbearance or deemed ineligible
  • W-9 form
  • Copy of mortgage statement or lease in the applicant’s name

Contact your local NRCA Emergency Assistance/Housing Counseling office to apply:

  • Floyd County (540) 745-2102 or
  • Montgomery County (540) 382-6186 or
  • Radford/Fairlawn (540) 320-7460 or
  • Giles County (540) 921-2146 or
  • Pulaski County (540) 980-5525 or