With the weather forecasts calling for severe storms across much of Virginia today, the Virginia State Police is reminding motorists to be extra cautious if having to drive in potentially dangerous conditions.
Motorists are advised of the following:
- Wipers On = Lights On – Virginia law requires headlights to be on when windshield wipers are active. Headlights also make you more visible to other drivers in heavy rains.
- Drive for Conditions – Slow your speeds for conditions and give yourself extra stopping distance.
- Buckle Up – One of the easiest ways to survive a crash is by simply wearing your seat belt and making certain all adult, teen and juvenile passengers are safely secured.
- Turn Around. Don’t Drown. – Forecasts are calling for heavy rains and possible flash flooding. Motorists should never attempt to drive through high water, as the depth and speed of the water can be deceiving and dangerous.
- Be #WeatherReady – Safety tips available at https://www.vaemergency.gov/prepare-recover/
- Check 511 for Road Conditions – www.511virginia.org