The following is a list of forecasted highway projects that may impact traffic traveling in the Pulaski County area this week. Work schedules and construction project timelines are always subject to change and weather dependent.
I-81 BRIDGE DECK REPAIRS – Weather permitting, crews will repair bridge decks on Interstate 81. Right and left lane closures will be in place northbound and southbound during nighttime hours, 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning. Drivers should watch for signs and expect possible delays.
- Pulaski County – June 17-20, mile marker 87 to 89, alternating left and right lanes
I-81 BRIDGE JACKING OVER INTERSTATE 81 IN PULASKI COUNTY– As part of a bridge jacking project, the bridge over Interstate 81 at exit 92 towards Draper in Pulaski County is currently closed. This project will raise the bridge to increase its clearance over I-81 along with additional repairs. During the closure, drivers will need to use the service road between exit 89 and 94 for access. Lane closures may be in place between mile markers 90 to Exit 92. There is a permanent shoulder closure on I-81 Northbound from mile marker 90.5 to Exit 92 that is expected to last until August 2019. Estimated completion of the project is September 2019.
I-81 POTHOLE PATCHING OPERATIONS – Weather permitting, crews will patch potholes along Interstate 81. Mobile right and left lane closures will be in place and moving along northbound and southbound lanes during nighttime hours, 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning. Drivers should watch for moving vehicles and equipment. Expect possible delays.
ROUTE 11 PAVING OPERATIONS – Paving operations will be taking place starting June 16, on Route 11 in the north and southbound lanes (Memorial Bridge and Route 600). All traffic will be maintained through actives work zones with flagging operations. Message boards will be in place to alert drivers. This is night work to be performed between 9:00 P.M. and 6:00 A.M.
(NEW) * OLD ROUTE 100 BRIDGE OVER PEAK CREEK IN PULASKI COUNTY TO CLOSE FOR BRIDGE REPLACEMENT – Beginning June 17, a project to replace the bridge on Route F047 (Old Route 100) over Peak Creek in Pulaski County will begin requiring the bridge to close and a detour to be put in place. The project will construct a new bridge that meets current standards as well as increase the length and width. The bridge is located on the service road that runs parallel to Interstate 81 between exits 94 and 98 and crosses Peak Creek that connects to Claytor Lake. It is approximately 5.5 miles east of the town of Pulaski and 4.8 miles south of Dublin. During construction, local traffic will be able to access areas on either side of the bridge, but since the old bridge will be removed, drivers will need to use the detour around the closure. Weather permitting, the bridge is expected to re-open in October 2020 with final completion set for November 2020.
- The detour during construction of the new bridge will direct drivers traveling northbound to use exit 94 for access onto I-81 and to use exit 98 when exiting off of I-81. Drivers traveling southbound will access I-81 using exit 98 and exit I-81 by using exit 94.
- Motorists travelling to either Conrad Brothers Marina or Rock House Marina are advised to exit Interstate 81 at exit 98.
- Bicyclists and participants of the Trans Am Bike Race traveling north on Bicycle Route 76 will leave Bicycle Route 76 at the intersection with Route 99 (East Main Street) and head north towards the town of Pulaski to Route 611 (Bob White Boulevard) that turns into Newbern Road. Bicyclists will then follow Route 611 to where it intersects with US Bicycle Route 76.
- Boats operating on Claytor Lake in the vicinity of Peak Creek will continue to have access to the upstream waterway but should use caution. Boaters will see a large barge in the water at the Old Route 100 bridge and a construction work zone will be posted in the water on water buoys. As boats approach the area for access, signs will direct them to possible changes in direction that will alternate to the left or right of the waterway. As a safety precaution, access to the waterway also may be closed at various times during construction and signs will be posted if this should occur.
* ROUTE 99 REPAIRS – Alternating left and right lane closures and periodically flagging operations on Route 99 from Interstate 81 to Bobwhite Boulevard. Estimated traffic impact from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* ROUTE 11 PULASKI COUNTY – Road work will be occurring on Route 11 in Dublin. A left lane closure from Route 1003 (4th Street) eastbound and westbound to Route 635 (Baskerville Street) Eastbound and Westbound. Work is expected to occur from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Estimated Completion: June 2020.
ROUTE 100 BRIDGE REPLACEMENT – Two bridge replacements are underway on Route 100 Dublin. The bridges are located over Route 11 and over the railroad. Drivers can expect lane closures and heavy trucks entering and exiting the roadway during daytime hours, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Lanes will be reduced to one lane in both directions from late fall through the duration of the project. Route 100 Southbound will continue to serve as the Route 100 northbound and southbound lanes. Width restriction of 10 feet in place with no wide loads allowed. Message boards will alert drivers. Work is anticipated to be complete by April 2020.
- NEW: Closure of Peppers Fairy Road will be closed for work to begin on Bridge B611 over the railroad. Peppers Ferry Road will be closed to through traffic from Newbern Street to the Route 100 overpass depending on weather.
- Traffic will continue to utilize the new traffic pattern from Route 100 Northbound to Route 100 Southbound from Baskerville Road, Route 635 to 4th Street, Route 1003.
- Tate Avenue will be closed to through traffic from Hawkins Street to the Route 100 overpass. Peppers Ferry Road will be closed to through traffic from Newbern Street to the Route 100 overpass. These closures will be in effect through April 2020.
- Right and left lane closures will be in place on Route 100 north and southbound.
- A width restriction is in place to 10 feet wide. Wide loads not permitted on Route 100 north and southbound between Route 1003 (4th Street) and Route 635 (Baskerville Road).
- A right lane closure is in place on Route 11 southbound for work to occur on the ramp.
- The ramp off of Route 100 southbound onto Route 11 southbound will be closed for pavement rehabilitation. A signed detour will be in place.