Virginia Tech opens season Saturday at Boston College
BLACKSBURG – The Virginia Tech football team opens the 2019 season on the road at Boston College on Saturday, August 31. Kickoff time at Alumni Stadium is set for 4 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on ACC Network.
For more information on the ACC Network, click here.
Saturday, August 31 – 4 PM
Alumni Stadium; Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
vs. Boston College Eagles (0-0)
Head Coach: Steve Addazio (7th season, 9th overall)
Record at school: 38-38; career: 51-49
Series: Tech leads 18-9; Last: Nov. 3, 2018 (L, 31-21)
Live Stats: CLICK HERE
Broadcast: ACC Network
Play-by-Play: Chris Cotter
Analyst: Mark Herzlich
Sideline: Kelsey Riggs
Radio: Virginia Tech Sports Properties
Play-by-Play: Jon Laaser
Analyst: Mike Burnop
Sideline: Wes McElroy
Virginia Tech Game Notes and Depth Chart: CLICK HERE
HOKIES KICK OFF 2019 SEASON AT BC
• Virginia Tech opens the season on the road against an ACC foe for the season consecutive year as the Hokies visit Boston College (8/31). Tech will begin the season against the Eagles for the first time since 1995.
• Tech opened 2018 with a 24-3 win at Florida State (9/3/18).
• The Hokies have won their last two visits to Chestnut Hill, including a 23-10 win under Justin Fuente (10/7/17).
• Virginia Tech won two of its final three games to close out the 2018 season, while BC went 0-3 down the stretch after registering a 31-21 win at Lane Stadium (11/3/18).
• Virginia Tech is 8-4 in ACC road games under Fuente. BC is 7-16 in ACC home games under head coach Steve Addazio.
• Saturday’s contest will be part of an opening weekend for the ACC Network, which launched on Aug. 22.
• Virginia Tech’s home opener will be vs. Old Dominion (9/7), while Boston College will host Richmond (9/7) next week.
VIRGINIA TECH VS. BOSTON COLLEGE: INSIDE THE SERIES
• Saturday marks the 28th game between Virginia Tech and Boston College with the Hokies
leading the all-time series, 18-9.
• August 31st marks the second time that the Hokies and the Eagles have faced each other in a season opener. The first instance occurred on 9/7/1995 in Lane Stadium when BC handed Tech a 20-14 defeat.
• Tech would lose to Cincinnati the next week to begin the 1995 campaign 0-2 before going on to win 10-straight games, including a 28-10 win over Texas in the Sugar Bowl.
• This will be the first game between the two teams played in the month of August.
• Of the 34 shutouts in the Bud Foster Era, three have come against Boston College. The Eagles and Temple have been shut out the most times by the Hokies since 1987.
• The Hokies look to win their third straight game in Chestnut Hill for the first time since they won five-consecutive meetings at Alumni Stadium between 9/17/94 and 10/10/02.
• This series dates back to 1993 and the Hokies have won seven of the last 10 meetings.
• The Hokies lead the all-time series, 10-6, in ACC contests.
• Head coach Justin Fuente is 2-1 in his career against Boston College.
• Since joining the ACC, Virginia Tech is 3-0 in season openers against league opponents.
• Tech is 6-4-1 all-time against conference foes in season openers, dating back to a 14-0 loss vs. North Carolina on Oct. 6 1945.