A structure fire Sunday in the Town of Pulaski displaced two families and took the life of one of the families’ pets. However, the blaze could have had much worse results.
On Sunday, June 16 at 3:14 p.m., Pulaski Fire Dept. received report of a structure fire at 429 2nd Street SW.
Prior to the firefighters’ arrival, a Christiansburg woman and her son – in town visiting for Father’s Day – came upon the fire.
Cindy Huckabee of Christiansburg said her son (Justin Davis) broke the glass in the door of the first floor apartment to get inside, then kicked in the mud room door to gain entry into the apartment. Huckabee, Davis and a neighbor rescued a woman living in the apartment who was asleep in a back bedroom, and also rescued two of her dogs.
Pulaski Fire Chief Robbie Kiser said when the fire department arrived, they found heavy fire coming from the 2nd floor apartment of the structure. Firefighters then quickly searched the building to account for all occupants and began extinguishment of the fire.
The two-story apartment building had two families in it and they were both displaced due to the fire. The 2nd floor received heavy damage from the fire and the first floor received damage from water and smoke.
Huckabee, Davis and fire department personnel were able to rescue 6 pets in the fire, however, a seventh pet unfortunately perished due to smoke and heat.
The fire was marked controlled at 5:32 p.m.
Pulaski Fire Department responded with 4 apparatus and 26 personnel. Dublin Volunteer Fire Department responded with 2 apparatus and 10 personnel, while Newbern Volunteer Fire Department responded with the air truck.
Red Cross assisted the displaced victims.
Pulaski Police Department and REMSI also assisted on the fire scene.
“The Pulaski Fire Department would like to thank all assisting agencies with this fire,” said Kiser. “I would personally like to thank all the Pulaski Fire Department members for their hard work and assistance on this fire during Father’s Day.”
The only injury reported was to Davis who Huckabee said was treated for a cut hand he sustained from breaking the glass in the door.