— Health Bus Offers Childhood Vaccines at Local Schools —
The Virginia Department of Health New River Health District’s mobile health bus will visit area public schools in April to offer vaccines for TDaP (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis, or whooping cough), HPV (human papillomavirus) and MCV (meningococcal disease, or meningitis).
TDaP vaccine is required by Virginia state law for all children 11 years old and older; HPV and MCV vaccines are strongly recommended by VDH, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, American Academy of Pediatrics and American Academy of Family Physicians.
“Our goal with the mobile health bus is to provide a ‘road to wellness’ for our residents. By visiting local schools, we can improve access to healthcare for the communities we serve by providing easier access to vaccinations,” said Noelle Bissell, MD, director, New River Health District. “Vaccination is essential for protecting our children, keeping them well, and keeping them in school.”
The schedule for the mobile health bus is:
- Tues., Apr. 9, 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. – Blacksburg Middle School, 3109 Prices Fork Road, Blacksburg
- Wed., Apr. 10, 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. – Christiansburg Middle School, 1205 Buffalo Drive, Christiansburg
- Thurs., Apr. 11, 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.– Shawsville Middle School, 4179 Oldtown Road, Shawsville
- Tues., Apr. 16, 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. – Pulaski Middle School, 500 Pico Terrace, Pulaski
- Thurs., Apr. 18, 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. – John N. Dalton Intermediate School, 60 Dalton Drive, Radford
- Wed., Apr. 24, 4 to 7 p.m. – Floyd County High School, 721 Baker St., SE, Floyd
- Mon., Apr. 29, 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. – Macy McLaugherty Combined School, 1001 Henson Ave., Pearisburg
Parents of home-schooled students should contact their medical provider or local health department to make an appointment to have their child/ren vaccinated. Local offices of the New River Health District include:
- Floyd County Health Department, 123 Parkview Road, NE, Floyd, 540-745-2142
- Giles County Health Department, 1 Taylor Ave., Suite 4, Pearisburg, 540-235-3135
- Montgomery County Health Department, 210 S. Pepper St., Suite A, Christiansburg, 540-585-3300
- Pulaski County Health Department, 170 4th St., NW, Pulaski, 540-440-2188
- Radford City Health Department, 220 E. Main St., Radford, 540-267-8255
These clinics are provided through a collaborative effort of the New River Health District and public school districts in Montgomery, Floyd, Giles and Pulaski counties and Radford City, to promote the health of those in the community and in the school systems.